As an industrial design all types of objects can be protected with an exception of
- Functional objects
- Architectural, industrial, hydrotechnical, etc. objects
- Unstable objects like liquids, gases, etc.
There are several types of multiple applications (an application, which contains more than one design):
- Design variations: when designs are unified by a common creative idea, which is generally characterized by the same essential features. In other worlds, the designs should differ from each other unessentially. Each variation enjoys independent patent protection. Example: ”Teapot (3 variants)”
- Set of designs : when a group of designs are used together. Each design is protected as a dependent part, which constitute a complete set. Example: “Set of sofa and two armchairs”.
- Whole and part(s): when the whole object and its dependent part(s) need to be protected separately. In such an instance, each of the objects is provided with independent protection. Example: “ Teapot with basement (whole object), lid for teapot (independent part), basement (independent part)”
The substantial examination, which directly follows the formal examination, lasts up to 12 months. Design applications are examined on their novelty as well as the basic filing requirements.
The procedure from filing to granting lasts from 10 to 12 months. Issuing of any office actions extends the procedure for about 4 months.
The registration of an industrial design is valid for 15 years and can be extended for the next 10 years.
From the third year of the design’s validity, officials request annual maintenance fees.
The attorneys of LUCKRUS provide highly qualified services in patenting industrial designs in Russia,
- Can help clients to file description of the design
- Prepare photographs, drawings
- Prepare, file and prosecute applications in the Russian PTO
- Facilitate the timely payment of duties to maintain the validity of patents
- Consult on all manner of questions concerning design legislation and infringement.